We are hereby announcing the International Conference Urban Forests – Full of Energy taking place inCologne, Germany, from 22 – 24 May 2019 and call for abstracts to contribute to our discussions. Deadline for abstract submission is 1 February 2019
THE CONFERENCE AND VENUE
Since 20 years, the European Forum on Urban Forestry (EFUF) is a unique meeting place for forest and greenspace managers, planners, architects, researchers, public authorities and policy makers to share interdisciplinary experience and good practices within the field of urban greening, urban forests and urban forestry.
Urban forests are vibrant places for multifaceted recreational activities, social gathering and mental restoration, but also provide biomass for an urban bioeconomy. They are full of energy. And so is the venue of this years’ conference: the German Sport University Cologne – the perfect location to explore energetic interactions of trees and human beings.
Cologne has a remarkably long history of urban forestry. In the 1920s, the city created the “Inneren und Äußeren Grüngürtel“, the inner and outer green belt, on the premises of former fortress belt. The green belts are nowadays used for a huge variety of activities. These include the Cologne “Waldlabor” (Forest Laboratory) which has been established in 2010. Here foresters are experimenting with new types of urban forests in the face of climate change and changing society. EFUF will capitalize on the Waldlabor and will organize an International Waldlabor Student Workshop in parallel to the conference, connecting energizing debates with energetic forest activities (see here for the call for the workshop, deadline 31 December 2018).
THEMES AND CONTRIBUTIONS
The 2019 European Forum on Urban Forestry invites researchers and urban forest professionals to submit abstracts for contributions. This includes – but is not limited to – applied as well as academic research, and perspectives/experience reports of professionals and practitioners. EFUF emphasizes the connection of practice and scientific knowledge, encouraging a variety of possible formats to contribute to the conference. Contributions may explore the urban forest as…
… the healthy forest: sport, well-being and human health
- Recreational activities with a special emphasis on outdoor sports and their management
- New well-being activities: supply, conflicts and visitor management in urban forests
- Urban forests and human health: interrelations, activities, management
… the spiritual forest: culture, religion and art
- Diversifying cultural perceptions of forests and related forest use
- Religious aspects of urban forests and trees, including sacred and funeral forests
- The urban forest in art, art in the urban forest, the urban forest as inspiration
… the learning forest: research, laboratories and education
- Forest laboratories as approaches for experiencing and transforming urban forests
- Participatory planning and research in urban green infrastructure
- Education for sustainable development and environmental education
… the co-designed forest: diverging interests, governance and urban forest management
- Diversifying societal demands, conflicts and their management: conservation, recreation, wood production, ecosystem service provisioning and infrastructure development
- New and experimental planning, design and management processes
We accept oral talks, posters and other non-commercial contributions. Abstracts (maximum 2000 characters) are only accepted in English language. They must not include figures, tables or attachment and should be related to one of the themes mentioned in the call for abstracts. Deadline for submission is 1st of February 2019. For abstract submission, please use the online system: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=efuf2019.
The programme committee will determine whether a work will be accepted for presentation, considering the significance and/or the innovative character of the contribution. Authors will be informed on the acceptance of their contribution by the 21st of February 2019.
Will be open from 1st of February 2019 through the 22nd of April 2019.
- Opening call for abstracts: 19 November 2018
- Closing registration for Waldlabor workshop: 31 December 2018
- Closing call for abstracts: 1 February 2019
- Notification of selection of abstracts: 21 February 2019
- Registration opens: 1 February 2019
- Early bird registration closes: 30 March 2019
- Deadline for payment of early bird registration fees: 30 April 2019
- Registration closes: 22 April 2019
- Deadline for payment of registration fees: 15 May 2019
- Prof Dr Georg WINKEL (European Forest Institute, Bonn, Germany)
- Prof Dr Cecil KONIJNENDIJK (University of British Columbia, Canada)
- Prof Dr Frank LOHRBERG (RWTH Aachen University, Germany)
- Dr Stefan TÜRK (German Sport University Cologne, Germany)
- Prof Dr Liisa TYRVÄINEN (Natural Ressources Institute, Finland)
- Dr Bianca WYSS-BÄRLOCHER (Urban Green Polylogue, Switzerland)
- Dr Joachim BAUER (City of Cologne, Germany)
- Dr Judith KRETSCHMER (Ministry for Environment, Agriculture, Nature and Consumer Protection of the State Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany)
- Clive DAVIES (European Forum on Urban Forestry, UK)
- Dr Rik DE VREESE (European Forest Institute, Bonn, Germany)
- Ministry for Environment, Agriculture, Nature and Consumer Protection of the State Nordrhein-Westfalen
- German Sport University Cologne
- European Forest Institute (EFI), Bonn Office
- RWTH Aachen University
- City of Cologne
- University of Applied Sciences and Arts at Göttingen
Rooms will be secured at the German Sport University Campus at attractive rates. Conference participants are welcome to book other accommodation if they prefer so. Be aware that there will be a high demand for hotel rooms during the conference week. Book well ahead!
PRACTICAL INFORMATION AND CONTACT
Dates: Wednesday 22nd of May until Friday the 24th of May 2019 (arrival possible on Tuesday the 21st of May with welcome drink, optional field excursion on Saturday the 25th of May)
Venue: German Sport University Cologne
Travel: please visit the website 2019.efuf.org for directions
Subscribe now on our mailing list to be updated regularly via firstname.lastname@example.org